Friday, June 5, 2009

What My Life is Like...

So I keep running into old classmates, community members, former teachers, past co-workers, etc. (basically, people I haven't seen in awhile) and they all keep asking me "What are you doing now?" I don't even know where to start.
To most people... I may look like a loser. A failure. Yeah, I'm unemployed, so what?
But I feel like my life is taking an exciting direction full of adventure and possibility. I have time for creative endeavors, I am able to spend time with friends and family, I am learning how to live with little to nothing, and instead of suffering for it... I am loving it!
I currently live in a small, one-bedroom apartment in East Lansing, MI with my boyfriend Will and my cat Ava. I spend my time writing (freelance articles, ehow articles, poetry, songs, novels, blogs, etc.), making music (which includes having intense jam sessions), making jewelry and bath/body products to sell online on Etsy, creating new plans, schemes, to-do lists, dreams, and products, and just basically doing anything creative. It's pretty sweet.
Now, eventually this period of creative freedom is going to lose some of it's luster, because eventually, there will be no money at all to live off of (I've been living off tax-return money and savings thus far) but I have a plan. I will find ways to make money doing what I love to do and on MY time. That's the thing about us Bohemians... the 9-5 career is just NOT for us, so we find other means. Whether it's posing nude for artists, playing music on the street with an open case for tips, making our own crafts and selling them, teaching lessons out of our homes, working as an extra in an indie movie, or playing music at or taking pictures at weddings... we will find a way to be creative AND thrive.
So that's what I am doing. I am making possibilities for myself... possibilities that only exist outside of the traditional workforce. And it feels great! So, in some peoples' eyes, I may be a loser... I may be a failure... but I am a Bohemian and I am happy for it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I could have written much of this post. I am also on a mission to "find ways to make money doing what I love to do and on MY time." I may look like a loser, but my recent unemployment and writing experience has been a great boost to my creativity. Thanks for the post, and I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete