Sunday, October 24, 2010

PonchoMeg: The Modern Bohemian is feeling down... but working on feeling better

So... I've been kinda sick for a few days and this is the second time in a month I have been sick like this.  This makes me worry.  You see, I have always had medical problems, and for the past 7 years or so, it's been really bad.  But ever since I went 100% gluten-free last December, my health has been improving.  I have gotten sick less, gotten fewer weird conditions, and have been able to actually lose weight because I have actually had some energy.  Now all of a sudden, it seems like my health is sliding backwards on me and like I said, it makes me worry.
It probably doesn't help that I don't have any health insurance.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love my lifestyle now; freelance writing, doing extra work for movies and tv, performing, doing odd jobs, and working on my blog.  But the problem with this way of living is that insurance is hard to come by, and so is money.  As a teacher, I was paid well AND I had amazing insurance, so sometimes I wonder if I should just go back to that to give me some security.
But the problem is... I don't fit well into that kind of world.  I am terrible with the 9-5, terrible at dealing with bosses and catty co-workers, and I disagree with so much of what is happening in the public school systems.  So where does that leave me?
Well... I have to make more happen for myself.  That's what I've decided.  If I can't afford health insurance, then I need to make more money. So... I am on the hunt for a tolerable part time job, I am writing up a storm online on List My 5 and some of my other writing sites, and I am thinking of getting a manager to help to get me some higher paying jobs in television and movies.  We'll just have to see how it all goes.
In the meantime, I am feeling pretty down... but it is motivating me.
I may never be completely healthy, and I may just have to deal with that, but I can make a better future for myself.  And maybe getting sick is just the kick in the butt I need to do just that.
Peace and Love,
Meagan

2 comments:

  1. Meagan, I know just how you feel! I have a lot of similiar issues (not the gluten thing though), and don't fit in with the regular 9 to 5 thing either. I'm glad you're being pro-active. I think most of us are having to do a bit of hustling just to survive nowadays.
    Good luck, I'll be rooting for you to get some good work/jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Luckily, I just got hired as the Lansing Electronic Music Examiner for Examiner.com, and I just wrote my first article for them today, so I'm pretty excited about that! It's nice to hear from you! Peace and Love,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete