Sunday, December 27, 2009

Avatar is Amazing

I am always moved by inspirational and life changing stories told through a creative medium; whether told through song ("True Believer," by E-Type, "Imagine," by John Lennon), written word ("Ishmael," by Daniel Quinn, "The Way to God," a collection of Gandhi's writings, "Tao Te Ching," by Lao Tzu), theatre ("Rent," by Jonathan Larson, "La Boheme," by Giacomo Puccini) or through cinematic adventures ("Moulin Rouge," "Interstella 5555," "Koyaanisqatsi"), I am moved.. Tonight, I was moved because I experienced an inspirational and life changing movie: Avatar.


Avatar moved me.  Avatar inspired me.  Avatar changed my life.  And Avatar entertained me.  I was so invested in this movie that I literally forgot I was in a movie theater at all!  I smiled.  I cried.  I stared at the screen without blinking for long stretches, and I was in it.  I was there. In a moment of intense destruction and devastation during the course of the story, as the tears welled up in my eyes, all I could think was "How could you do this horrific thing to these beautiful people?"  I felt their pain.  I suffered with them.


And I know that these people are fictitious.  I know that Avatar is a movie, and Pandora, the planet in it, doesn't really exist.  But there are people in this world, on this Earth, who resemble in my heart and mind the people I so connected with in Avatar.  There are events in our history that Avatar mirrors during the course of the film, that I fear we will repeat again someday.  There are feelings brought out in me because of the deep, moving story of this movie that cannot be denied as feelings I have for the Earth and its creatures and other life.  So even though Avatar isn't real... it's a movie that "talks" about very real things.  It's a unique movie; different than anything else out there... and it offers more wisdom, inspiration, and enlightenment than one would think a movie could.


Avatar does have similarities to movies of the past (I thought Pocahontas and Fern Gully right away...) but that doesn't mean that it isn't special.  It is special.  It's magic.  It's very well made.  And it is a movie that has enough originality to stand out amongst all the movies I have ever seen in my 25 years of life thus far.






It can't beat out Moulin Rouge as my favorite movie ever, but I will say this: It is an important movie.  I think everyone should see it, with open mind and open heart.


I'm not the only one.  Check out this enthusiastic gush, I mean... review of Avatar.

Believe me, I am sure that he and I are not the only two so inspired by this amazing movie.  Even if not everyone is moved as I was, I am sure that most everyone who sees Avatar can at least be impressed by the special effects and the acting.  My favorite?  Zoe Saldana, who has been on my radar since I first saw her in Center Stage.  She plays Neytiri, one of the Na'vi on Pandora where the movie takes place, so basically, she never looks like Zoe Saldana, human being, during any of this movie.  So her job, in my opinion, was much harder than some others in the film, because she had to express every tiny emotion through her voice.  And she did.  It was incredible.

What more can I say about this movie?  I guess... just watch it.  Watch it, with an open mind and an open heart and with open eyes and ears.  See if you agree with me or not.  But no matter what anyone else thinks, this movie was magical and moving to me and it stirred feelings inside me that I feel are going to bring a change into my life.  And I am so grateful that James Cameron made this movie. It is amazing.

7 comments:

  1. Hello and thank you for following my blog "The Mechanical Room." I haven't seen the movie Avatar yet but I've heard good things. I hope you're having a beautiful day and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. Thanks for stopping by and visiting PonchoMeg: The Modern Bohemian.
    Peace and Love,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be moved by this movie. I'll watch it with open mind, heart, eyes, ears and i know i'll live and breathe with those guys while watching, like i always do.
    You said it beautifully and your words are very powerful. You can get others inspired by your words...what an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following my blog. I have the same passion for Avatar as well it changed my whole outlook that day. Love the blog.

    Dani-Elle from
    www.frivolousidlepleasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelsey and I loved it too! Oh yeah, if you're going to see it (and you haven't yet), go see it at a digital theater and shell out the extra bucks for 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, we saw it in 3-D. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an amazing movie indeed, looks perfect toch in 3D, i have seen this movie in 3D :-) , Add my blog in your My Blog List Section please, here is my blog - http://www.geekblogger.org/

    ReplyDelete