Tuesday, February 2, 2010

PonchoMeg: The Modern Bohemian Says Think Locally in 2010 (Michigan, I'm Going to Save You!!)


I wanted to make changes this year.  I wanted this year to be different.  Some of this will come by chance, but I think some of it has to be the direct result of efforts I put forth as well.
So in 2010, I am thinking locally!  I am going to make sure I shop locally even more than I already do, I will support local business people, bands, artists, visionaries and service providers, I will donate to local charities (as well as my other regulars, like the ASPCA), and I will get involved in more local activities.
Now, I happen to live in Michigan, so the following links mostly affect Michiganders.  BUT, there's nothing wrong with supporting another place's local economy, so non-Michiganders, feel free to browse as well.  There are some great large companies and small businesses in Michigan and tons of talent.


Check it out:

First of all, I have some resources to help you find more local stuffs:
Michigan's Official Website
Pure Michigan: Michigan's Official Travel and Tourism Site
Michigan Department of Agriculture: Give the Gift of a Michigan Made Product
Michigan Women's Marketplace
The Michigan Business Directory
Absolute Michigan: All Michigan, All The Time

Candles, Handmade Goodies, and Specialty Items (In person and Online!):
Great Lakes Candle Company, Lansing, MI
With Eyes Lifted: My friend Jessica's Etsy Shop, handmade in Michigan
Bohemia Too: Clothing, Accessories, Beads and Jewelry Crafting Supplies, Imports, Handmade, Gifts,   Novelty, Books, Etc. Located in Grand Rapids, MI.
Finders Keepers Variety Store: Located in Three Rivers, MI
Rustic Ridge Creations, Flint, MI
Island City Candle Company, Eaton Rapids, MI

The BIG Stores:
Meijer, Based in Grand Rapids, MI
Jiffy, Chelsea Milling Company, Chelsea, MI
Faygo: The Original Party Pop!, Detroit, MI
Gordon Food Service, Grand Rapids, MI
Kellogg's, Battle Creek, MI
Spartan Stores, Based in Grand Rapids, MI


Fine Arts, Entertainment, Tourism, and Local Talent:
Brena: An Alternative, Rock, Pop Band from Grand Rapids, MI
The Purple Rose Theatre (Jeff Daniels), Located in Chelsea, MI
Kelsey Kohlenberger's Voice Studio, Grand Rapids, MI
Goodrich Quality Theaters
Celebration Cinema
Heritage Guitar, Inc., Kalamazoo, MI
MichiganArtists.Com
Michigan Artist's Gallery, Sutton's Bay, MI
Elderly Instruments, Lansing, MI
Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Paradise, MI
Michigan Historical Museum, Lansing, MI
The Marshall Historical Society, Marshall, MI
Arts and Entertainment on Absolute Michigan
Frankenmuth: Michigan's Little Bavaria
Mackinac Island
Eminem, Amazingly Talented Rapper from Detroit, MI
The English Inn: Restaurant and Pub, Eaton Rapids, MI
Poetry Society of Michigan
Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, MI
Children's Ballet Theater of Michigan
City of East Lansing: Parks, Recreation, and Arts
Grand Rapids Art Museum, Grand Rapids, MI
Mackinaw City, MI
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
MISC. Michigan Goodness:
Quality Dairy
Yahoo Local Information on Darb's, Mason, MI
MichiganWeed.Org: Informative Website on Marijuana in Michigan, Run by Local East Lansing Residents
Mark's Hot Diggity Dog Stand, Based in Eaton Rapids, MI
PonchoMeg: The Modern Bohemian: A Michigan Based Blog of a Modern Hippie, Bohemian, Free-Spirit Living in East Lansing, MI
Weird Michigan

Local Charities:
Greater Lansing Food Bank
Woldumar Nature Center, Lansing, MI
Mother Teresa House, Lansing, MI
Michigan Audubon, Lansing, MI
Ele's Place: A Healing Center for Grieving Children, Lansing, MI
Capital Area Humane Society
John Ball Zoo Society, Grand Rapids, MI
The Humane Society of Kent County
Grand Rapids Community Foundation, Grand Rapids, MI
Crash's Landing: Cat Rescue and Placement Center, Grand Rapids, MI


Michigan Schools, Colleges and Universities:
Grand Valley State University (My Alma Mater)
Central Michigan University 
Calvin College
Michigan State University (Where most of my house mates attend school)
University of Michigan
Western Michigan University
Lansing Community College
Grand Rapids Community College
Jackson Community College
Douglas J. Aveda Institute
Ferris State University
Eastern Michigan University

Michigan State Parks, Campgrounds, Natural Wonders:
Michigan DNRE: Natural Resources and Environment
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Mackinac Island
Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park
Tahquamenon Falls State Park

                                                           

Don't see the Michigan related item you were looking for?  Add links to great, local, Michigan resources in the comments section below, please!
I will probably continue to update this list...  I think it will be a great resource for me, and maybe others, to help us do more locally.
Enjoy!
Peace and Love,
Meagan

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving a comment. We are both Bohemians (Modern & Post Apocalyptic...what a pair)! You are doing a great job here. I loof forward to visitng agagin soon. Best Wishes from Portland (a city I think you would like).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming and visiting mine in return! And for saying that I am doing a great job. It's a big compliment, because I was very impressed by your blog. :) Keep in touch. :)
    Peace and Love,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my Recycling blog (www.eartheveryday.org) and adding my badge. I've added your blog on my list of supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your blog. Thanks for supporting me back! :)
    Peace and Love,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete