Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Money, Money, Money... Must be funny... in a Rich Man's World."

My title comes from an ABBA song about, well... money.  This is because I have money on the brain.  Not that I WANT to have money on the brain.  But when you have no money and need money, money tends to be on the brain.

"Oh... all the things I could do, if I had a little money. It's a rich man's world!"

Why do I NEED money?  Well, the way I live requires that I pay rent, utilities, etc.  Not to mention that I have a car I occasionally drive, debt up the wall, and 2 pets to take care of.  As much as I would sometimes like to give up the house and car and live in some commune somewhere, I know that as a modern bohemian, I need access to my technology to thrive.  And I like living in a house as opposed to a tent or my car again.

So I need money.  This is true.
And it's been frustrating because I have a hard time getting money.  Yes, I am on unemployment.  But I constantly run into problems with getting my money on time.  Like right now?  No unemployment money since mid-January.  Grr...

But I am doing everything I can (legally) do to make money.  I am still writing, I worked with my friend at an Expo for $50, I take back cans and bottles from home (and those I gather), I sell stuff to pawn shops and second hand stores, I advertise with Adsense, Google Affiliates, and Amazon Associates, I have many online stores, including at CafePress and Zazzle, and I recently started donating plasma.  I am still also doing some extra work in television and movies (but those opportunities are few and far between), I still sell on Etsy from time to time, and I am a part of Sponsored Tweets and MyLikes.  But I tell ya... for as much as I do, the money is still hard to come by.

I AM looking for a part time job too! (For all you haters out there who think hippies, bohemians, and free-spirits are just lazy...) But the problem is that I am "unqualified" to do a lot of the jobs available.  (Funny, since I have a college degree and 12 years of work experience...) When I DO get interviews, they always go with the person with "more experience." IE: NOT ME.  Frustration!!!

It's awful that a lot of people (friends even) don't understand the stress I am feeling or how desperate things can get around here.  Most of them don't truly seem to realize that I can't really go many places because a.) I can't afford to drive there b.) I can't afford to spend money once there and c.) I am not a person who easily accepts others' offers to "cover it" because I have been burned BAD in the past.  I just want them to understand.

I love my friends and family, but I am in a tough spot.  And until I can somehow dig myself out of it (and I WILL) I hope that they can provide me with a little more understanding.

Anyone else struggling to get by?  What are you doing to pay your bills? Let's help each other out!!

For now, I have to go try to make some more money.

"I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay... ain't it sad?"
Yes, ABBA.  It is sad.

But positivity still rules the day (for now) so I am off to make it happen!!!
Peace and Love,
Meagan

3 comments:

  1. I am in a tough spot just like you! Though many don't understand my problem, they think its an excuse or lazyness, I try and try again with your average retail work, I am not qualified for anything else really, but when working there I only ever make it about a month before the anxiety and panic attacks set in so bad I can't call in sick or quit, I just stop showing up. Right now, working one day every week/other week at a salon as a receptionist, I haven't paid my credit card bill in months and the day at the salon pretty much only cover's gas. My suggestion to you, since you like to write and stuff, try freelancing at seed on aol. (seed.com) I'm not a very good writer and have yet to try it myself but I though I'd share this with you in hopes you can make a little more money :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time making money too, but I have thought of a few ideas. One was already suggested- write for other online sites. Find blogging jobs, write a non-fiction book, answer surveys, or try ClickBank or sell your stuff or thrift store stuff on amazon or ebay. You could also browse books at the library on how to make more money bogging, or how to start a business or simply observe the blogs that make a lot of money and try to copy them. These are ideas I have thought of, but haven't done myself. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure even how I came across your site, but I like it! Money money money rules my brain most days. Keeping a positive attitude will rule in the end and you seem to be doing that. I know from experience how very hard that can be some days! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete