Friday, December 4, 2009

More Great Ideas for the Holiday Season



Looking for some ways to make this holiday extra special? Well, I have some ideas for you. First of all, if you are a crafty person, start making some great holiday crafts for you and your family and friends! It feels great to do something crafty and it feels even better when you give things away! I made some centerpieces, decorations, a wreath, and a fun holiday scarf.

If you need an idea, check out this FREE pattern from Artbeads.com. And hey, while you're there, do something for yourself too. Click here to enter a contest from Artbeads.com where you can win a $100.00 gift card!

Secondly, even if you are not crafty, you can still make someone's day. In fact, you can make a soldier's day by getting involved with Holiday Mail for Heroes through the American Red Cross.


"In this season of hope and giving the American Red Cross and Pitney Bowes, Inc. have joined forces to invite Americans to send a touch of home to United States service members and veterans across the country and abroad. In its third year, the Holiday Mail for Heroes program is an opportunity to share joy and thanks with our service members throughout the holiday season by way of a greeting card.
Today over 1.4 million men and women serve in the U.S. armed forces and over 24 million veterans have served in the past. The holiday season is the perfect time to honor and extend a warm holiday greeting to those who’ve served and continue to do so." -American Red Cross
Also, if you want to keep giving for FREE, you can head over to the Animal Rescue Site. Literally, all you have to do is click a button, and you are helping animals. You can do this every day! If you don't want to bookmark it, I have a button on my blog 24/7 that is available for you. Please, take a moment and do this.
If you still want to do even more for animals this holiday season, then donate to the ASPCA, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. I adopted my cat, Ava from a local division of the ASPCA back when I lived near Kalamazoo, and I am so grateful for their work. Ava is like my baby, my friend, and my little angel all rolled into one. So please help the ASPCA. If you don't want to just donate money, buy some fun animal themed items from their store. They have some really cute stuff.

Back to my crafty friends... there is a great group called Warm Up America that helps you to help provide warm afghans to those in need.


You can make a difference to someone in need by:
  • crocheting or knitting one or more 7" by 9" sections for Warm Up America!
  • joining sections into completed afghans,
  • donating yarns and needles/hooks to groups in your community,
  • contributing money to expand WUA! to groups nationwide.

If you do want to simply donate money, you can always donate to Feeding America.
"Feeding America is the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger." -From ABOUT US, at FeedingAmerica.org

Or... maybe... you just want something for you! That's okay too! Get some! 

And check out some of the following links:







Peace and Love,
Meagan
PonchoMeg: The Modern Bohemian


4 comments:

  1. http://www.buddhatrance.com/free-postcards/

    Another fun goodie I found online. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For each and every party and/or gathering, that our family hosts, we make it a food drive for our local food bank and animal shelter. When it is a birthday party, in lieu of gifts, we ask for non-parishable food, pet food and blankets for our animal shelter, and any donations for Habitat for Humanity.

    I will be sure to add these causes to our list that we engage in so often. In fact, my husband is turning 50, the 22nd of this month and we are making it a Toys-for-Tots birthday!

    He really is a kid at heart!

    Once again you show the depth of your compassion and love for others Meg! I so adore that in you! I hope you do too!

    Merriest to you and yours!

    N-Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joylene. Nice to meet you too. I am glad you enjoy my blog. I just love writing it! It's neat to share things about me and things I appreciate and care about with others, especially when they share those kinds of things about themselves with me as well. It's very rewarding.
    N-Peace... I just love ya!! You give me such high praise, and it means so much coming from someone as amazing, compassionate, and beautiful as yourself.
    For Toys for Tots, put an extra toy in for me if you can. I will be putting an extra one in for you when I do my toy donation just because you inspire me so much. :)
    Happy Holidays to both of you! Enjoy every second! :)
    Peace and Love,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete